Welcome to the homepage for the Boston Logan International Airport Runway 33L RNAV SID Draft Environmental Assessment (EA). The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has prepared this Draft EA to identify the potential environmental effects associated with an FAA Proposed Action to implement a new air traffic control Area Navigation (RNAV) standard instrument departure (SID) procedure on Runway 33 Left (33L) at Boston-Logan International Airport.
The FAA has released the Draft EA on January 14, 2013. The Draft EA is available for review electronically from this website or in hard copy at the Framingham, Winthrop, or Boston (East Boston Branch) public libraries. In accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Draft EA was prepared to address the potential environmental impacts that could result from the implementation of a new RNAV procedure at Logan Airport. The RNAV SID procedure would be used by RNAV-capable jet aircraft and closely overlays existing flight departure corridors from Runway 33L at Logan Airport.
Public Comment Period
The comment period on the FAA's Draft EA for the Runway 33L RNAV SID at Logan Airport closes at midnight on March 15, 2013. The FAA has received numerous comments on the proposal, including many which pose questions. The FAA has attempted to respond to as many of the those questions as possible. All comments and questions, including those to which we have not responded, will be made part of the project record and taken it into consideration in FAA's preparation of the Final EA.
This Draft EA is being made available to the general public via this project website. Public comments will be accepted, summarized and considered in the FAA’s preparation of the Final EA. The FAA has extended the comment period to March 15th, 2013. Please send all written comments to:
Ms. Terry English
Project Manager, Boston Logan International
Airport Runway 33L RNAV SID Environmental Assessment
Federal Aviation Administration
11 Murphy Drive
Nashua, NH 03062
Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, be advised that your entire comment – including your personal identifying information – may be made publically available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold from public review your personal identifying information, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.
Review the Draft Environmental Assessment
A hard copy or cd is available for review at the following locations:
Framingham Public Library
49 Lexington Street
Framingham, MA 01702
Winthrop Public Library
2 Metcalf Square
Winthrop, MA 02152
Boston Public Library
East Boston Branch
276 Meridian Street,
East Boston, MA 02128
Download the full document (note that graphics are saved at a lower resolution to reduce file size):
- Cover Page, Table of Contents, and Chapters 1 through 6 (44,462 in KB)
- Cover Page and Table of Contents (282 KB)
- Chapter 1, Project Background and Purpose and Need for the Action (4,168 KB)
- Chapter 2, Alternatives (16,947 KB)
- Chapter 3, Affected Environment (12,874 KB)
- Chapter 4, Environmental Consequences (18,051 KB)
- Chapter 5, Public and Agency Involvement Summary (138 KB)
- Chapter 6, List of Preparers (122 KB)
Additional Information and Resources
On January 24th, 2013, the FAA presented the results of the Draft EA to members of the Logan Airport Community Advisory Committee.
- FAA Presentation to CAC, January 24, 2013 (12,005 KB)
Background Information on Airport Operations and Runway 33L RNAV Procedure.
- Background Information Presentation (2,421 KB)
- Summary Table – Noise Results by Study Area Town – DNL Values (Updated February 6, 2013) (10 KB)
- Summary Table – Noise Results by Study Area Town – Population (Updated February 6, 2013) (14 KB)
The following documents and web links are provided to facilitate the review of the Draft EA. These documents and web links are provided as a courtesy for information purposes only. The FAA is not seeking or accepting comments on these materials as part of the review of the Draft EA.
- National Airspace System Overview (62 KB)
- Noise and its Effect on People (447 KB)
- U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Order 1050.1E, Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures, March 20, 2006.
- Boston Logan Airport Noise Study Homepage
BLANS Level 1 Screening
- Final Level 1 Screening Report - October 2009 (pdf) (13.6 mb)
- Level 1 Screening Report, Addendum Summary - April 28, 2009 (pdf) (116 kb)
BLANS Level 2 Screening
- Final Level 2 Screening Report – November 2011 (pdf) (52.7 mb)
- Main Section of Report – November 2011 (pdf) (2.5 mb)
- FAA Evaluation Worksheets/Determination Sheets – November 2011 (pdf) (26.4 mb)
- Attachments – November 2011 (pdf) (23.1 mb)
BLANS Level 3 Screening